Subject: Re: including non-xml

On 04/26/10 05:41, Ivan Ristic wrote:
> On a similar matter, does anyone know if it is possible to include
> only a part of a file?

No.

To quote the link that Samuel gave:

"""Since the included text is not XML, you cannot use an xpointer
attribute with XPointer syntax to select part of it. You can only select
the entire file's content."""

> In case of a book on programming, for example, I want to keep all
> examples separate (which would allow me to easily perform syntax
> checks, and maintain them separately), but include only certain parts
> in the book (complete examples will usually include much more stuff
> than necessary to reproduce in a book).

Ok, this makes sense enough.

> I looked around for a solution, but couldn't find anything. I have an
> idea to hack something together that would allow me to specify the
> fragment "coordinates" in the URL. For example:
> Comments, pointers and suggestions are welcome.

Can you not have all your examples in separate source files?

You might need a pre-processor to include them together when compiling
your source code.  Can you compile your source code as is or are some of
the sections duplicate?

Grant. . . .