Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] [OT] - Doc in Wiki system

I think that Jan's original question is also very significant; namely,
what happens to user-generated content on the version 1.0 document when
version 2.0 comes out? Some 1.0 user-generated content will still be
relevant in 2.0, and some won't. It seems to me that this leads to a
real rat's nest of possibilities, none of them particularly appealing:

- Does user-generated content stay with the version it was created for?
If so, how do users of the next version know that it is there? How do
they tell which items are still relevant and which aren't?

- Does user-generated content get blindly migrated from one version to
the next? If so, then again, how do users know which items are still
relevant--or indeed, that there are any that are *not* relevant.

- Does a company pay someone to filter through user comments and migrate
the relevant ones to the new version, either folding them into the
documentation proper or just carrying them forward as comments? Seems
like the "right" thing to do for the users, but depending on the size,
complexity, popularity, etc. of the doc. set, it could be a monumental
task.

- Are users given the tools they would need to sort through previous
comments and migrate them forward as they see fit? For
community-accessible docs, what if different community members disagree
about the status of the various comments?

This is
> [...]
extensions
> delivery engines over the years, but there is no uniform approach to
it
> across
> systems and technologies.  Both of them are issues that have made help
> systems
> less effective for large, complex systems (simpler systems tend not to
> need as
> much of either) and need to be considered when evaluating help
delivery
> technologies for a project.
>
> The third item is a two edged sword.  People may suggest ways of doing
> things
> that are not robust, particularly if they are based on incomplete
> knowledge of
> complex systems.  How is the information filtered if incorrect or
> misleading
> posts are made (a problem with any "crowd sourced" information).  What
> happens
> to the structure of the document over time (something that is not as
> critical
> in information that is always accessed by search, but documents that
grow
> by
> aggregation instead of planned development can become quite
confusing).
> Even
> if search is the primary access method, how do you tell which entry is
the
> one that is most important for you, and how do you search effectively
if
> you
> are new to the domain and don't know the vocabulary yet (a big
advantage
> of
> indexes over full text search is that a good index teaches you the
terms
> as
> you use it).  Wikipedia has to add disambiguation pages and there are
> frequent discussions of whether pages need to be merged or split among
the
> authors working on Wikipedia.
>
> I would not expect any company to admit to the fourth reason and it is
> cynical to bring it up, but given the amount of downsizing (or right-
> sizing
> or whatever it is called by the people who are doing it) that goes on
in
> the tech industry, it cannot be ignored as a possible explanation.
>
> I am sure there are others (including "Wikis are the new buzz" which
can
> not be ignored), but these are the ones I have looked at when the idea
> came
> up in design discussions I have been involved in.  An important issue
that
> came up in one of the discussions was legal -- who is liable for
> information
> added to an official document published by a company.  It has a logo

http://ffeathers.wordpress.com/2009/09/14/getting-content-into-and-out-o
f-