Subject: RE: [docbook-apps]PDF downconversion to docBook XML

Kurt,

It's great to hear there's another publisher looking at DocBook.

My company, XML Press, uses DocBook whenever possible.

Regarding conversion, I have not converted from PDF to DocBook, but I
have converted from HTML to DocBook with reasonable success. From HTML,
here is what I do:

1) Use tidy (http://tidy.sourceforge.net/) to generate xhtml from the
html.
2) (optional) Use XSL to clean up the xhtml.
3) Use herold (http://www.michael-a-fuchs.de/) to generate XML.
4) (optional) Use XSL for post-processing.

Just using steps 1 and 3 works pretty well, but depending on what the
original html looks like and what you need the final DocBook to look
like, you may need some additional processing. Fortunately, once you
have xhtml, you can use xsl for processing before running herold, and
you can, of course, do some cleanup with xsl afterwards.

Herold works very well, so the pre and post-processing you need to do
will probably depend mostly on how good your conversion from PDF to HTML
is.

Hope that helps.

Best Regards,
Dick Hamilton