Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] DocBook and InDesign

Hi all

As a newb to DocBook (I run a small publishing house looking into moving over to DocBook) one of the services I'd like to be able to offer our customers (who are mainly academic researchers), is the possibility of putting together collections of articles / chapters from any of our content (via a simple search and drag and drop web app) and having it auto-typeset, and transformed for consumption on a variety of mobile devices, as well as the possibility of ordering a print version of the user-defined collection - the Expresso book printer makes this possibility realizable.  In order to build this service I recognize that the formatting would have to be standardized to some extent, and would undoubtedly not be 'perfect'.  The current XSL-FO transformation probably has sufficient complexity to enable me to build this service and for the resulting products to be 'good enough'.  However, at the same time, we have used InDesign since the inception of my publishing company (Emergent Publications), and so having even a limited roundtripping capability between InDesign and DocBook would enable us to utilize our existing InDesign knowledge and investment.  We are not into producing glossy magazines or very complex textbook-like presentations, so our formatting requirements are likely far more lax than many other publishers... but it is the flexibility I want t offer to our customers, and if the cost of that is sub-optimal formatting, then fine.

Kind regards, Kurt