Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] olink basics

Hi Steve,

I think perhaps my book should provide more details of some basic use cases to make
the setup for olinks easier.  In this case the setup of your olinkdb.xml file needs to
be completed.

I see that you declare  a system entity for the file SDKOverview.db, but it is not
referenced.  As a result, both of the <document> elements in the database have no
content.  So although the targetdoc value "SDKEnumeration" is found in the database,
it has no targetptr values and their data associated with it.

Also, I notice that the target data file SDKOverview.db is not generated.  The name of
the data file is established in the stylesheet parameter 'targets.filename', which is
set to 'target.db' by default (you should see that in the directory).  If you want the
file to be named otherwise, then set the parameter.

If I understand correctly, you have a single assembled document, so you don't need
more than one <document> element in the database.  This version of olinkdb.xml should
work for your purposes:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE targetset
SYSTEM "targetdatabase.dtd" [
<!ENTITY SDKOverview SYSTEM "SDKOverview.db">
]>
<targetset>
  <document targetdoc="SDKEnumeration">
    &SDKOverview;
  </document>
</targetset>

And this set of params will make it work for olinks whose targetdoc="SDKEnumeration":

xsltproc --output c:\<filename> /
--stringparam collect.xref.targets "yes" /
--stringparam targets.filename SDKOverview.db /
--stringparam target.database.document "olinkdb.xml" /
--xinclude C:\<our-custom-xsl> C:\<book-file>

Since you have only one document, you don't need to set the 'current.docid' parameter.
That value is used to compute a path between two different output documents.

Hope this helps.  Your comments have prompted me to try to improve the chapter on
olinking to make it easier to get started.