Subject: Help needed testing CJK search support in webhelp

Hi there,

Kasun Gajasinghe has been hard at work this summer on the webhelp GSoC project and has implemented all the required features, including stemming for English and German, highlighting of search results, and tokenization for Asian (Chinese, Japanese, Korean) languages, freeing the output from the frameset, and automatic toc synching.

You can see a demo of the results of his efforts and download it to try things out on your own content from here: http://www.thingbag.net/docbook/gsoc2010/doc/content/ch02s01.html

The instructions provide links to a version of the package for 4.x and 5.x documents.

Feedback is welcome. Please let us know what bugs you find. In particular, we need to test the CJK search support. If you have some demo content in Chinese, Japanese, or Korean that you can share with us for testing, we’d appreciate it. I had planned to use the Chinese version of DocBook, The Definitive Guide, but have had some trouble getting my environment set up so it will build.

We plan to provide instructions for adding stemming support for other non-CJK languages. For a number of languages, all that is required is to port the stemmer from Java to JavaScript so that it can be used on the client side.

Thanks,

David