Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Re: html 5, as a target

Jochen Hayek wrote:

> We all appreciate your technical expertise,
> but from a marketing point of view,
> it's one of the biggest mistakes you or the DocBook community could make,
> if you said: we ignore HTML5.

Well, if anyone thinks that there is some advantage of producing HTML5
output from DocBook stylesheets, he is free and welcome to provide patches.

But HTML5 can't in its current state and with current browsers provide
any new useful functionality for DocBook generated output. So there is
no point in supporting HTML5 in DocBook stylesheets otherwise then being
sexy and free-cool-in.

> But it's sort of stupid to fight evolution,
> better join it, if that matters to evolution.

I'm member of W3C HTML WG since it started working on HTML5. I have
spent a lot of time making sure that it is possible to generate subset
of HTML5 with XSLT 1.0 compliant processors. So personally I have spent
with HTML5 much more time then I would like.

If you really want to produce HTML5, try to use

<xsl:output method="html" doctype-system="about:legacy-compat"/>

and then feed generated page through http://validator.nu

There is a high chance that your output will be considered as HTML5 valid.

				Jirka

                   Nejbližší termíny školení
      ** Úvod do XML 18.8. ** Úvod do XML schémat 16.9. **
     ** Úvod do XSLT 23.9. ** XML pro vývojáře 5.-7.10. **
      ** XML schémata 12.-14.10. ** DocBook 19.-21.10. **
         ** XSLT 8.-11.4. ** Office Open XML 13.12. **
  http://docbook.cz    Stránky o dokumentačním formátu DocBook
  http://xmlguru.cz    Blog mostly about XML for English readers

OpenPGP digital signature