Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Re: html 5, as a target

On Monday, August 16, 2010 10:25:24 am rob.cavicchio@emc.com wrote:

> The HTML5 specification isn't scheduled to become a recommendation until
> 2022.

That's something of a red herring.  By W3C rules it can't become a
recommendation until at least 2 complete implementations exist in the wild.
It's currently in the "come on, use this stuff so we can be sure about it!"
phase.  It's a big enough spec that it will take a while for 2 *complete*
implementations to exist, but partial implementations exist now and do offer
benefits.

TR date and widespread adoption date and useful-for-some-things date are all
very different things.

> So HTML5 as a replacement for the current HTML output types certainly does
> not appear to be a viable option for quite some time to come. But assuming
> no major upsets, it *will* come. The only question is when it will become
> real enough that it makes sense to start doing significant work on it. I'm
> not sure we've reached that point yet.

That would be the question, yes.  But if someone is willing to write it, and
at least a few people want to use it, would there be a harm in offering it as
an option?

--Larry Garfield