Subject: running header breaks into 2 lines!

For some reason the headers on my PDF are way too narrow for headings.
  It cannot have more than 30 characters and breaks into 2 lines if it
exceeds that.

The page size is not that small. 23.4 cm x 15.6 cm, and inner/outer
margins are 1.91cm and 1.27 cm respectively.

I tried increasing the column width
    <xsl:param name="header.column.width">1 2 1 </xsl:param>
but I found that regardless of what values I enter  entered here,  it
still cannot handle more than 30 characters. The values mentioned here
don't seem to have any effect  (I even tried 1 4 1, 0 1 0, etc).

I've tried this in XEP and Apache FOP with the same result.

The only thing that did seem to work is to reduce the font size to 8
point (which frankly looks absurd).

    <xsl:attribute-set name="header.content.properties">
        <xsl:attribute name="font-family">Gentium</xsl:attribute>
        <xsl:attribute name="font-size">8pt</xsl:attribute>
    </xsl:attribute-set>

Does anyone have ideas about what might cause this to happen? Aside
from what I have mentioned here, there are no other relevant
customizations which might affect this.

Does anyone have other  ideas about what might be shrinking my header width?

--
Robert Nagle
htpt://www.robertnagle.info