Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Docbook for industrial usage

On Tue, 7 Sep 2010 11:45:26 +0200
Sabine Cretella <s.cretella@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, yesterday I talked with Camille on IRC about getting docbook used
> more in industry. I am searching for companies that already use it
> and that could give a good example about what they do with docbook
> and why they use it.

AFAIK *most* of O'Reilly published books are sourced in docbook, or a
slight variant thereof. I submitted my book in docbook and it came back
to me only slightly the worse for wear as the book that 'went to
print'.

> One side I never did myself, but would like to try out on my own is to
> convert a docbook file to pdf - all I found on the web seems to be
> rather old and from before docbook 5 - is there any new documentation
> on this? You know one thing is having just read it's possible and
> another is having it done at least once.
I have about 120K word document in db 5 which I transform into both html
and (via xsl-fo) into PDF. The current stylesheets do all I want.
Why not try it? I think fop is slowly becoming industrial quality!

> (I am on OpenSuse btw.)

<grin/> We can't all be perfect!

HTH

--