Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Docbook for industrial usage

I Sabrine,

I routinely localize/translate O'Reilly manuals for the italian market
and to other xml consultancy work for publishers. In the last couple
of year O'Really has changed his workflow from FrameMaker to Docbook
4.5 to go multi-output (print/pdfs/epub+mobi/html) in a standard
compliant way.

An industrial strength (assuming having someone competent in XSLT/FO)
toolchain is:

DB version: 4.5
editing: Oxygen
XSLT: customization layers of stock DB XSLT 1.75.2
FO engine: Antenna House (FOP is not yet ready for industrial quality
print production)

As usual, the monkey wrench in the above toolchain is the authoring
phase: if you need to use Word, _very_ strict styling and macro/xslt
machinery is necessary for going from Word to DB.

In the future I expect more adoption of DB5, but for the time being it
is quite difficult to migrate all the existing XSLT customization
layers (and as the old saying goes: if something works, do not fix
it!).

I have the impression most DB adoption is in the technical writing
world (where some background in SGML/Frame exists). In other
publishing sectors (e.g. novels and the like), DB workflows would be
extremely useful (today everyone wants print pdf+epub), but there
exist strong resistances due to old (bad) habits from DTP and the real
world issues of xml first/early toolchains.

This is my experience from the real world.

I am convinced that in the last 8 years a lot indeed has changed!
Simply non that many publishers yet realized this.

regards,
__peppo