Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] Use of xincludes vs. entities

Ron Catterall [mailto:ron@catterall.net] wrote:

> My biggest problem with Xinclude is the duplicate ID if a piece of text
> is included twice etc.  Would it be possible to reset an ID of an
> Xincluded test on the Xinclude statement with an attribute, e.g.
>
> <xi:include href="venn.xml" ***newid="qwerty"***
> xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude";>
>    <xi:fallback><para><emphasis> MISSING INCLUDE FILE - venn.xml
> </emphasis></para></xi:fallback>
> </xi:include>
>
> Would this be a major enhancement?  Is it a reasonable suggestion?

XInclude is not part of DocBook. I think you'd need to go through the W3C to propose enhancements to it. That said, your solution only solves part of the problem, I think. What about IDs on elements that are inside the main XIncluded element? And what about nested XIncludes?

Personally I haven't had a lot of issues with XIncludes and IDs. Usually if I give something an ID, it's because it's unique, and therefore I'm unlikely to include it twice in the same document.

*************************
Rob Cavicchio
Principal Technical Writer & Information Architect
EMC Captiva
Information Intelligence Group
EMC Corporation
3721 Valley Centre Drive, Ste 200
San Diego, CA 92130

P: (858) 320-1208
F: (858) 320-1010
E: rob.cavicchio@emc.com

The opinions expressed here are my personal opinions. Content published here is not read or approved in advance by EMC and does not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of EMC.