Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Conceptual problem formatting <preface> material

Hi Chris,
I've done similar books like this using preface elements with role attributes, and
then customizing the book template to output them in the order you want.  The
titlepage template system is not really appropriate for that kind of extended
information.

For each special preface, I add a template with match="preface[@role = 'something']"
to handle its formatting, and then add the following to the book template to apply it:

  <xsl:apply-templates select="preface[@role = 'something']"/>

That way if a book instance does not have such a preface, this step is just skipped.

You'll also want to add an empty template in normal mode to prevent the preface
element from being processed again in book order:

  <xsl:template match="preface[@role = 'something']"/>

You'll need to decide which of these have their own fo:page-sequence, and call the
template name 'page.sequence' with that as content.

And you'll need to customize the templates named 'page.number.format' and
'initial.page.number' to get the right page numbering scheme.

The trickiest part in this design is getting the copyright and "Contacting"
information on the same page.  The copyright info is normally processed in the
titlepage page-sequence.  For that case, I would customize the template named
'book.titlepage.verso' to apply templates to that preface element, and leave that one
out of the book template.