Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Docbook XML and Catalog

On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 09:52:44 +0530
"SriKrishnan" <srikrishnan@techset.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi Dave Pawson,
>
> I am frankly saying I don't know anything about Java, Saxon and FOP.
> Now only I am trying to learn these for the purpose of generating PDF
> from the XML source.
atalog option for saxon?

One more thing.You need to appreciate the difference between a uri
resolver and a catalog resolver?

the basics are: When an XML application wants to find a file called
out from a stylesheet or referenced from an XML instance, it *can* if
told to do so, use a URI resolver to carry out that action of retrieving
the file. The resolver may (again, if told to do so) use the facilities
of a catalog resolver to use in this process.

ndw????????

  Norm Walsh wrote a paper on this, but it was hosted on Arbortext web
  site and seems to have been taken down. Anyone know where it might be
  found? I think this was the most clear exposition I've read.

The catalog resolver asks the application (e.g. the Saxon XSLT engine)
what URI it wants, and according to the rules of catalogs, uses the
catalog file to change the sought URI into another form.

E.g. the docbook v5 catalog has a line

<uri name="http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/5.0/rng/docbook.rng";
uri="rng/docbook.rng"/>

which shows the 'translation' from a web address to a local file.

HTH

--

regards

--