Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] diff marking

On 11/14/2010 12:52 AM, Keith Fahlgren wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 6:59 PM, Mike Maxwell<maxwell@umiacs.umd.edu>  wrote:
>> But what a price :-(
>
> Understood. I haven't used either tool in a production environment, so
> I'm unable to give any endorsement. That said, I would not expect a
> feature-complete open source alternative in the short term:
> (schema-aware-) XML differencing is a seriously hard problem.

Would it be possible to do a two-step diff:
1) Run another XML diff, which produces some format like a patch
2) Use the patch to create a modified version of one of the input files,
with 'revisionflag' appropriately marked.

There seem to be several programs "out there" that accomplish step (1),
although I have no idea how well they work.  It seems like a fairly
simple task to write a program that would perform step (2).  Admittedly,
I haven't tried that, and it could be lots harder than I think :-).
--
	Mike Maxwell
	maxwell@umiacs.umd.edu