Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] acronyms, abbreviations, definitions

On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 10:31:32 -0600
"Cramer, David W (David)" <dcramer@motive.com> wrote:
nd any blind user having the text read to him/her?

> > OK. RFE submitted.
>
> My understanding of Larry's suggestion is that the OP customize the
> stylesheets so that acronyms and abbreviations (only the first
> instance in a book or the first instance in a chunk in html) contain
> the appropriate stuff in the result. The data regarding the expanded
> form is stored in the master glossary. The stylesheets do the work of
> looking it up and supplying the appropriate markup in the output. In
> pdf, the stylesheets expand the first occurrence of "<glossterm
> (Three Letter Abbreviation)" (maybe with a hyperlink to the glossary
> for online users) and add the term to the <glossary>. In chunked
> html, the stylesheets do whatever is going to make screen readers
> happy or is going to meet your needs for a given context (e.g.
> tooltip definitions for sighted users). The main suggestion is that
> instead of storing the expanded form in each abbrev/acronym in the
> source, you store it in one place. Ideally, in your authoring
> environment you would also provide a convenient way for writers to
> add entries from the master glossary.
>
> So I don't think there's really any disagreement. This is more a
> suggestion of how to manage the information on the source side, not
> anything about the details of what you should do on the output side.
>
> David

I think there is. A screen reading app will not be looking for
glossentries David. A reader app comprehends acronyms and will read out
the full one if the text is there.
Hence my RFE to have acronym and a child (with expansion) as a primary
inline.

I do however agree that those subsequent to the first use (as is common)
may use an alternative to expansion for each occurrence, though I'd need
to take advice as to how that should be marked up (in the resulting html
for instance). PDF is a different ball game for a screen reader.

--

regards

--
Dave Pawson