Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] Need recommendations for the best modern Linux backend tools for DocBook

Yes, sorry, I was too hasty.

|  A quick skim seems to indicate the above reference only
|  deals with the
|  html and pdf case.  What about dvi and PostScript? Do we have to
|  give those up if we switch to XSL?

Not necessarily, but I suspect that you will need more than one formatting
tool.

dblatex can produce DVI: http://dblatex.sourceforge.net/.

FOP has a PostScript renderer, but I have never tried it:
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/1.0/output.html#ps

|  Also, the above reference (published in 2007) mentions three
|  open-source possibilities for the XSL-FO processor (FOP, PassiveTeX,
|  and xmlroff) and seemed to lean toward FOP in terms of the example he
|  used later.  Is FOP the open-source XSL-FO processor you would
|  recommend now?

Yes. PassiveTeX is defunct, and xmlroff development seems to progress very
slowly.

Among commercial FO processors, I can recommend XEP:
http://www.renderx.com/tools/xep.html.
Another commercial vendor is Antenna House: http://www.antennahouse.com/.

Mauritz