Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] epub parameters: explain

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 10:53 PM, Robert Nagle <idiotprogrammer@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I browsed through the docbook.xsl file in the epub directory, and
> I see some unfamiliar parameters.

Yes, most of them are not actually intended for external customization.

> Most I can guess the function of, but a few left me puzzled. Anyone
> know what they refer to:
>
> epub.cover.linear ?

Some publishers prefer the cover (XHTML file) to be the first document
displayed to a reader, while others want the first "real" bit of
content. If epub.cover.linear is non-zero, the cover file will be
marked as the first file to open (in the linear reading order of the
OPF spine). More on the best practices around covers here:
http://blog.threepress.org/2009/11/20/best-practices-in-epub-cover-images/

> ade.extensions ? (Adobe digital editions?)

Yes, Adobe Digital Editions, but unused at this time.

> Also, mobipocket requires a TOC in the main body but epub does not. if
> I want to suppress the TOC in the main body (while leaving the ebook
> reading software to construct it from the content.opf file) how would
> I do this?

One technique for getting around this problem is described here:
http://blog.threepress.org/2010/11/16/better-single-source-mobiepub-files/
..that said, many folks generate a "real" EPUB and a highly degraded
one for Mobi conversion.