Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] Round trip style sheets

I'm interested in trying out the roundtrip stylesheets for my own project. I have already downloaded the latest version. Is there a basic set of directions anywhere as to how to use them? My first attempts failed, and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks,

jz

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Ball [mailto:Steve.Ball@explain.com.au]
Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 2:56 PM
To: Speights, Scott
Cc: docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi Scott,

Firstly, it is feasible to transform MS Word 2007 documents directly using XSLT. I haven't yet looked at MS Word 2010 but I imagine that would be OK too. The trick is being able to unpack the .docx file, which is just a Zip file, and locate the document content, which is an XML document.

Although the roundtrip stylesheets may not do "MS Word Headings" out-of-the-box, they do have an extension mechanism that would allow you to easily map those styles to something that is supported, like "sect1-title" or "chapter-title".

The current stylesheets do not support creating unnumbered sections, mainly because that is difficult to model in the Word document. There may be a parameter to use sections instead of sect1/sect2/etc. In any case, it would be a simple matter to post-process the DocBook document to convert numbered sections to unnumbered.

Regarding OOXML, I imagine that's not too far from WordML so it wouldn't be difficult. However, right now my big project is implementing XPath 2.0/XSLT 2.0 for libxml2/libxslt so I don't have any spare time to work on the roundtrip stylesheets :-(

Cheers,
Steve Ball