Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Auto-generating an index

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 02:17, Dave Pawson <davep@dpawson.co.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Feb 2011 15:07:51 -0600
> Tom Browder <tom.browder@gmail.com> wrote:
>> wheel: does anyone have any pointers to any auto-indexing tools for
> Sorry Tom, IMHO it is a long and boring job best suited for a human.
> Think of a couple of the terms you might want to index, then search for
> them. In a fair sized document it is amazing how often they crop up in
> 'the wrong' place.
>  I guess it depends on the quality of the index you want to create.

Bummer.

But I have extracted a text list line by line from the file, Then I'm
going to pare the list down to reasonable words and phrases, then use
a Perl script to go line by lines through all docs and surround each
found word or phrase by a suitable index tag set.

> I found the best support is from a good macro. Highlight the word/phrase
> then use one of a couple of macros to insert primary/secondary term
> markup. Emacs is great for this kind of job

Yep, a winner: I use xemacs and already have the primary macro.

Thanks, Dave.

-Tom