Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] webhelpindexer.jar w/o Ant?

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 1:22 AM, David Priest <docs@davidpriest.ca> wrote:
Well, it didn't take long to prove that I can't do it.   Removing the imports and the two Extends still results in a no-ant-class type of error.  I have no idea where else it is making use of, or importing, Ant.

Ant doesn't do any functionality related to webhelpindexer. Ant is needed because indexer is invoked via a Ant taskdef defined in the build.xml under xsl/webhelp folder.

As I see, only IndexerTask has Ant dependencies. But just removing imports and extends won't do the job, because that class is specifically designed based on the requirements at [1] I've given before. We need to add the main method to it (changing execute() method to main would enough.) Then we have to write the constructor to set htmlDir and indexerLanguage (two Strings. You'll understand if you have a look at build.xml file). This would probably enough to make it available as a standalone jar, though there will be other changes needed to make it compatible with the DocBook distribution. I'll have a look at it, can't guarantee how quick it'll be though.

Can you send the steps you followed to understand what you are actually trying to do? And the stack traces you got will be helpful too!

Thanks,
Kasun

David Priest wrote:
I am completely unfamiliar with Java, but familiar with a variety of other languages.  I took a look at the code and I don't *think* the indexer makes use of any Ant facilities, so I suspect all it needs is to be uncoupled from Ant by redefining the method.  I shall take a poke at it myself, but hope that someone with actual Java skills does the same!