Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Does dockbook.xsl covers the whole?

The philosophy of DocBook XSL's HTML output is to enable CSS, but to supply minimal
CSS styles, because everyone wants different styling.

The HTML output has always done this through extensive use of structured HTML output
(nested divs) and class attributes.  Those should enable CSS style selectors to
differentiate HTML elements sufficiently for styling.  If you examine the HTML output
you will see all the divs and class attributes.

If you need custom class names, that can now be done using customized templates in
mode="class.value", available since version 1.72 and described here:

http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/HtmlCustomEx.html#CustomClassValues

In the past there were complaints that full CSS control was difficult because the HTML
output included hardcoded styles that were difficult to override. The most recent
release of DocBook XSL (1.76.1) cleans up its act a bit for CSS support.  The
'make.clean.html' parameter when set to 1 will generate HTML with very little CSS
styling embedded in it, as well as turning off most instances of hardcoded <b> and <i>
(although I'm not sure this is complete).  The stylesheet can also generate a CSS file
as part of the chunking output.  See the param reference:

http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/doc/html/make.clean.html.html

These changes should make it easier to implement CSS for DocBook's HTML output.
Further suggestions for better CSS support are always welcome.