Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Generating separate closing tags in XHTML webhelp output

On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 2:06 PM, Dave Pawson <davep@dpawson.co.uk> wrote:
On Sat, 5 Mar 2011 03:01:06 +0530
Kasun Gajasinghe <kasun.gajasinghe@gmail.com> wrote:

> There's some tools out there to parse dirty HTML tags and retrieve
> it's whole content. But lot of good tools don't have a compatible
> license with DocBook. Htmlcleaner looks like a good solution for
> adding the support for indexing/searching *html* files though. So,
> full support for html would come!

tagsoup from John Cowan is my tool of choice for this.
http://ccil.org/~cowan/XML/tagsoup/
I even have a version which I use as the parser for input to Saxon
which lets me process html as XML, using full xpath.

That's great Dave, Thanks. Previously, I had looked at Tagsoup at http://java-source.net/open-source/html-parsers/tagsoup . There, the license is listed as GPL, so I backed off. Didn't know that it's Apache Licensed now. The Indexer (htmlsearch) in WebHelp is SAX-based, so Tagsoup would fit perfectly because it's SAX-compliant. This will be a nice feature addition for WebHelp IMO.

--Kasun

--
Kasun Gajasinghe,