Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] programlisting page breaks

So I hit up against this problem and found that, indeed, the
keep-together being set to always for formal.object.properties is the
cause. To fix it, I've added the following to my customization layer:

<xsl:attribute-set name="formal.object.properties">
<xsl:attribute name="keep-together.within-column">auto</xsl:attribute>
</xsl:attribute-set>

The current behavior is described in Bob's book:
http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/PageBreaking.html

However, this seems to be a case where the default behavior violates the
principle of least surprise. Currently, if you process a document with a
table or example that is more than one page long, the results will be
unacceptable/stop-ship (but there's no easy way to make the fo renderer
stop processing the document when this happens). On the other hand, if
we make the default "auto", you might occasionally have a short table or
example that's split across pages when it would be better if they were
kept together, but the result would still be acceptable. I think it
would be better if we set the keep-together for formal objects to "auto"
and then let the user add a PI to set it to always if necessary.

Are there arguments against making keep-together="auto" on formal
objects the default that I'm not aware of?

Thanks,
David