Subject: Best practice for multilanguage Docbook?

Hi,

  I am looking for help/suggestion on the following issue: what is the
best practice for writing a multilanguage docbook document ?
  docbook support the lang attribute in all elements, so I could use
the profile mechanism to select generation of a target language based
on that (*).
  However looking at the implementation in publican (**), they have
preferred the 'pot' mechanism.

Any comments/feedback on that ?
--
Mathieu