Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Best practice for multilanguage Docbook?

Hi Mathieu,
I don't think there is a single best practice because different people have different
requirements.  If it is a single document and you are handling the translation, then a
single multi-language source document and profiling would be fine.  If you have lots
of documents and/or many languages, a different approach might be more efficient.
Further description of your requirements might generate a more detailed response from
the list.

One question is whether the document will need to be maintained, that is, updated with
new information periodically. Each update will require retranslation, and the goal of
the management system should be to minimize the cost of translation by minimizing the
number of words to be retranslated.

I've seen systems that break up the original language source document into modular
sections, which are kept under source control. Modules are submitted to the
translation service(s) as needed, based on a comparison of timestamps of the source
and translated files. Someone should review the modules before submission to ensure
real content changed, not just punctuation or product names that could be updated by
you.   Also, most translation services maintain translation memories, which means only
changed content within a module will have to be retranslated, not the whole module.  I
don't think translation memories would work with a mixed language source document.