Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] pgwide support with Docbook 5

Bob,

We have come to opposite conclusions from the same facts. It appears more logical that the four attributes you list are deliberately missing from informaltable-HTML and are incorrectly present in table-HTML and should be removed.

The reason is that none of those attributes are also attributes of the HTML <table> element. Isn't the whole point of supporting HTML tables in DocBook to re-use the existing HTML table standard?

The proof is in the DocBook XSL. Try making a DB 5 document that contains a table-HTML using the pgwide="1" attribute. The document will validate fine, but on transformation to HTML, no pgwide attribute is passed to the HTML <table> element, and the table shows up with its default width. By contrast, add width="100%" and you get the pgwide effect as desired.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Stayton [mailto:bobs@sagehill.net]
Sent: Saturday, March 19, 2011 6:13 PM
To: Chris Ridd
Cc: docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org

Thanks for the additional info. It seems informaltable (HTML) is missing pgwide, tabstyle, floatstyle, and orient, which are available on table (both HTML and CALS) and informaltable (CALS).  I think this may be an oversight, so I filed a bug report regarding the missing table attributes on informaltable (HTML). We will see what the DocBook Technical Committee says.