Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] pgwide support with Docbook 5

Hi Barton,

> The reason is that none of those attributes are also attributes of the HTML <table>
> element. Isn't the whole point of supporting HTML tables in DocBook to re-use the
> existing HTML table standard?

Not exactly. Here is what the Definitive Guide says (from
http://www.docbook.org/tdg5/en/html/html.table.html):

HTML tables were introduced in DocBook V4.3 which was not in a namespace and was
defined normatively with a DTD. DTDs do not support namespaces very well. The
Technical Committee decided to simply add the HTML element names to DocBook. This
solution simplified specification, avoided issues of namespace support in DTDs, and
solved the most compelling use case: cut-and-paste of simple, text-only HTML tables
into DocBook.
Strictly speaking, it would be incorrect to put these elements in the XHTML namespace
because the DocBook common attributes are allowed on all of them and the td and th
elements have very different content models than their HTML counterparts.

These are not HTML elements, they are DocBook elements whose names happen to match
HTML element names, and whose attributes and content models are similar, but not
identical.  The goal was to make it easier for people who are familiar with HTML
tables to author tables in DocBook.  DocBook does support all the HTML table element
names and attributes. But *additional* attributes do not break that compatibility.

Also, there is no <informaltable> element in HTML at all. Clearly that one is a
hybrid.

So if you have a text-only HTML table (no DocBook markup in table cells), you can copy
and paste it into a DocBook document, but only if it has a caption element. Without
caption, it would need to be pasted as an informaltable, since caption is required on
DocBook's table (HTML).

> The proof is in the DocBook XSL.

The DocBook Technical Committee would object strenuously to that statement! The XSL is
supposed to follow the schema, not lead it.  8^)

In any case, I filed a bug report and this will be resolved at the April DocBook TC
meeting.  Feel free to provide more input.