Subject: Unable to indent text in text output

Hi all,
   I have some text that i want to indent.  I'm using id attributes in
the xml and then using the css and xsl files.  I can get the pdf and
html outputs to work fine, but I cannot figure out how to get the text
output to indent.

<para role='box'>This text should be indented</para>

Using this:
<xsl:param name="para.propagates.style" select="1"></xsl:param>

I can use .css to indent the text in the html. Works fine.

Using this:

<xsl:template match="para[@role = 'box']">
   <fo:block text-indent="5em"
             text-align="left">
     <xsl:apply-templates/>
   </fo:block>
</xsl:template>

the .pdf output is fine.

However I can't figure out how get the text output to be indented.

I've tried to use template matches;

<fo:block/>  doesn't work,

<xsl:text>&#xd;&#xa;</xsl:text>  doesn't work.

What am I missing?
Matt