Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Break long programlisting lines without spaces?

On 04/13/2011 04:32 PM, Jirka Kosek wrote:
> Peter Desjardins wrote:
>
>> Has anyone developed a customization that will do this?
> There is parameter for this:
>
> http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/doc/fo/hyphenate.verbatim.characters.html
>
> If you want to allow breaking after any character you can put complete
> alphabet inside this parameter.
>
> However I'm not sure if this will work in FOP. This is known to work in
> XEP, but AFAIK it was not working in FOP 0.20.x/0.9x. I have never
> tested it with FOP 1.0.
>
> 			Jirka

I've done a little research on this and found on the fop list some
discussion (pasted below). The fop developers feel that using the
hyphenation character to achieve this is an abuse of the
hypenation-character property. However, it is to my mind an obvious and
important thing to want to do, so I would say that it's an omission from
the FO-spec. I've meant to post on the fop list asking for an extension
feature of some kind to allow for this situation without abusing any
features, but haven't gotten around to it.

David

http://markmail.org/thread/g32fgn6pjxotudlu#query:+page:1+mid:s77ceg3jx2hxtzlc+state:results

"...Like its name indicates, the hyphenation-character property
specifies which character should be used when hyphenating a word. So it
will be used only when a line break occurs within a word.

The requirements of the present case are different. Stylesheets doing
things like the above are just abusing the hyphenation-character property."

http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.text.xml.fop.user/30480

"The hyphenation-character property (which FOP does support) is not meant
to be used for adding continuation characters where long lines are being
wrapped. It's only used when breaking /inside/ a word, which rarely is
what you want when you typeset program listings."