Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Break long programlisting lines without spaces?

Regarding this entire thread, I know an automatic method is attractive, and may make sense in some cases, but with programming examples, I think going fully automated is dangerous.

There are two competing questions:

1) Does the example scan well to the eye?
2) If the reader types (or cuts and pastes) the example into a compiler/interpreter verbatim, will it work?

I don't know of any automated approach that can satisfy these two conditions consistently.

I think you're better off having the stylesheet warn you when you exceed a maximum line length, and then fixing the offending examples directly. If you do that, you can be assured that examples will work the same for readers who type or cut/paste the example as it the original example did.

Jirka does make a good point that you may not have that luxury, but if you don't, and you need to accept un-reviewed line breaks, then at least make files that contain the "true, unbroken" examples available for download.

Best Regards,
Dick Hamilton

-------
XML Press