Subject: Re: [oXygen-user] R: Additional XSLTstylesheet in docbooktransformation

An anomaly in DocBook profiling came up on the Oxygen users mailing list, but it is
actually a DocBook XSL issue, so I'm posting the problem and solution to the
docbook-apps mailing list as well.

From: "Sorin Ristache" <sorin@sync.ro>
To: <oXygen-user@oxygenxml.com>
> We did not use profile-docbook.xsl because it does not apply all the
> profiling attribute values always correctly for complex DocBook
> documents. We tested that version of profiling stylesheet on a complex
> document and it allowed in the output some subsections which did not
> have the profiling attribute value set as the profiling parameter of the
> transformation. The profile.xsl stylesheet did not have this problem so
> we used that in the Oxygen scenarios.

With Sorin's help, I tracked down the source of this problem, because it did not seem
right to me that the profile-docbook.xsl stylesheet would produce a different profile
from the profile.xsl stylesheet.  It turns out to be an issue with customization of
the DocBook HTML chunking stylesheet while profiling, and does not seem to be
documented anywhere, so I'm posting the solution here for the record.

Because DocBook's chunking stylesheet relies on XSL import precedence to separate the
chunking functions from the formatting functions, a customization of the chunking
stylesheet requires a particular setup that imports and includes various DocBook XSL
modules in a certain order.  That process is described here:

http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/ChunkingCustomization.html

To customize the chunking stylesheet for single-pass profiling, my book says to import
"profile-docbook.xsl" instead of "docbook.xsl". But that is not sufficient for chunked
output.

It is also necessary to replace the reference to "chunk-code.xsl" with
"profile-chunk-code.xsl" in the customization file.  The difference is that
chunk-code.xsl matches on the original document nodeset, while profile-chunk-code.xsl
matches on the profiled node set.  If this substitution is not made, then the
profiling won't work correctly for customized chunked output.

I'll add this information to the next edition of my book.