Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] docbook-xsl UTF-8

You did indeed make it easy to reproduce what you're seeing...thanks for
that. If I do what you did and open index.html in a Firefox, everything
is fine. What appear as garbage characters from cat are due to cat's
limitations. Try using "cat --show-nonprinting" and the non-breaking
spaces show up as "M- ".

- From cat's man page:

       -v, --show-nonprinting
              use ^ and M- notation, except for LFD and TAB

David