Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Request for subtitle of unexpected element: slides

Hi,
I think the message is coming from the template named "fop1-document-information" in
fo/fop1.xsl.  It has this line:

   <xsl:apply-templates select="/*[1]" mode="subtitle.markup"/>

This template is applied whenever fop1.extensions = 1, as in your case.  It is trying
to append any subtitle to the title in PDF metadata.  The subtitle.markup mode
triggers the generated text (gentext) machinery, which tries to look up a gentext
template in common/en.xml (or whatever the document language is) for name="slides" in
the context="subtitle", and it fails.  Unfortunately, it does not fail quietly, as
most apply-templates do.

The other fo extension files (xep.xsl, axf.xsl, etc.) do not try to do this, so it is
only the fop1 version that does.  Not sure why they are not consistent.

You could either customize the fop1-document-information template to not test for
subtitle, or you could add a gentext template to your customization for name="slides"
in the subtitle context.  For more information on the latter, see:

http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/CustomGentext.html