Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Alternatives to MS Arial Unicode for PDF output?

Paul,

We use DejaVu fonts that are freely available from http://dejavu-fonts.org/

They have several unicode fonts that incorporate almost all of the unicode sets. I have found them very clean and they are continually maintained as well.

Regards,
Dean Nelson

In a message dated 7/8/2011 8:05:04 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, paul@kitebird.com writes:
As has been noted on this list, the MS Arial Unicode font is not freely downloadable.
For example, from last year:

> From: Ron Catterall <ron@catterall.net>
> Date: June 7, 2010 10:06:34 AM CDT
> To: Bob Stayton <bobs@sagehill.net>, docbook-apps <docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org>
> Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Font problem - need 2 font files in Docbook

> A trivial point,
> > http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/SpecialChars.html#fontFamilyList
> includes
> "the Arial Unicode MS font can be downloaded for free."
> but:
> On 2005-04-11, Ascender Corporation announced it had entered an agreement with Microsoft which enables Ascender to distribute Microsoft fonts, including the Windows Core Fonts, the Microsoft Web Fonts and the many multilingual fonts currently supplied by Microsoft. Called Arial Unicode, it is sold for approximately $99 per 5 users.
> The font is also apparently licensed to Apple, who announced on October 16, 2007 that Mac OS X v10.5 ("Leopard"), would be bundled with Arial Unicode.
> Unfortunately I'm still on 10.4.11
> Also I've been unable to find 'yogh' in the Ascender Arial fontset.

This font was useful for fop, to produce PDFs of documents containing, for example, Chinese or Japanese characters.

How are people dealing with the licensing issue noted above? Are there other freely-available Unicode fonts offering complete character support?

Or have people chosen to deal with Ascender (which has been bought by monotypeimaging.com in the meantime)? Are they reasonable to deal with? Do they supply font information in a form that's fop-usable?

(I did search the mailing list archives but didn't see an answer. Apologies if this has been answered already, a pointer would be appreciated.)

Thanks.