Subject: Re: AW: [docbook-apps] ragged index with recent fop snapshots

Mike Maxwell <maxwell@umiacs.umd.edu> was heard to say:

> The easiest way to get all the LaTeX packages you might need to have
> installed is to install the latest "TeX Live" distro:
>    http://www.tug.org/texlive/
> It's big, but compared to hard disks these days, no worries.

FreeBSD still has teTeX on board, although they may eventually drop
support given that Thomas Esser no longer maintains the distro. teTeX
has been good enough for me through the years as I mostly have used it
for SGML/Passivetex processing once in a while. Moving to TeX Live
would certainly make sense if I used TeX more often.

> As for the font issue: I'm not sure whether you were using LaTeX
> (8-bit pre-Unicode characters) or XeLaTeX (Unicode compliant
> version).  (Both come in the Tex Live distro.)  On the assumption
> that your XML was Unicode, you should have been using XeLaTeX.  A
> good Unicode font (and it's nice looking, too) is the Charis SIL font:
>    http://scripts.sil.org/CharisSILfont
> It includes regular, bold, italic, bold italic, small caps, tons of
> diacritics, IPA etc.  It does not however cover Greek characters.

I assume that dblatex and/or teTeX do not have any provisions to
handle UTF-8 encoded XML files automagically. This may be the point
where my problems started.

> I'm sure there are Unicode fonts that cover both Roman and Greek
> characters (Arial Unicode does, but is probably not what one would
> want for typesetting).

I'm currently using two non-Unicode fonts that still have all required
glyphs. It required a bit of testing though, but many fonts actually
have a full set of greek characters and those few symbols that my
document uses.