Subject: Re: AW: [docbook-apps] ragged index with recent fop snapshots

On 8/1/2011 3:45 AM, Markus Hoenicka wrote:
> I assume that dblatex and/or teTeX do not have any provisions to handle
> UTF-8 encoded XML files automagically. This may be the point where my
> problems started.

Dunno about teTeX, but dblatex is fine with UTF-8--we use it that way
exclusively, and then use XeLaTeX (a Unicode-aware version of LaTeX) to
process the resulting file.

> I'm currently using two non-Unicode fonts that still have all required
> glyphs. It required a bit of testing though, but many fonts actually
> have a full set of greek characters and those few symbols that my
> document uses.

If you're using non-Unicode fonts, then you'll need LaTeX rather than
XeLaTeX.  I'm not sure how (or whether) dblatex handles the conversion
in that case--it wouldn't be something a standard encoding converter
could handle, because you'd have to convert the non-ASCII (or at least
non-ISO) characters into some kind of LaTeX commands, I imagine.  I've
never tried that.
--
	Mike Maxwell
	maxwell@umiacs.umd.edu