Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] itemized list, and import precedence

On 09/08/11 11:33, Jirka Kosek wrote:
> On 7.8.2011 18:50, Bob Stayton wrote:
>
>> This isn't a case of import precedence, but of  different attributes.
>> In general, the qualified attributes (like  space-before.optimum) take
>> precedence over the non-qualified attributes (like  space-before). I
>> wish the DocBook XSL stylesheets had not been written using the
>> qualified attributes in some of the attribute-sets, because if you want
>> to override the space before, you need to override all three of the
>> qualified attributes for it to have any effectc.
>
> Is some FO processor supporting these non-qualified attributes for
> space-before/after?

Apache FOP does. That allows to have ‘justified’ pages (the bottoms of
pages aligned, in the same way as the right edge of justified text makes
one line). This is recommended by typography experts as something that
makes reading easier (just like justified text).

Removing this would be a step backwards IMHO.

> I don't think so. (Probably with the exception of
> xmltex which can map these directly to glues in TeX, but xmltex is not
> widely used today.) So I think we can safely remove those and just use
> value of .optimum trait as unqalified property.
>
> 			Jirka

Vincent