Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Use of revision

On 2011-08-17 , at 23:13:37, Stefan Seefeld wrote:

> The specification has a version / revision number, and also tracks
> changes. It seems natural to use the "revision" / "revhistory" for those
> two. However, there are some (minor) issues:
>
> 1) How can I identify the current revision of the document ? The
> revision element is only allowed inside a revhistory, but the ordering
> of revisions within revhistory is unspecified.
>
> 2) What is the appropriate way to include the revision in the title ?
> (I'm a little confused here, as I have found the standard
> fo/titlepage.templates.xsl file from xsl-docbook 1.76.1 to refer to an
> "info/revision" element in its "set.titlepage.recto" template, yet the
> documentation in http://docbook.org/tdg51/en/html/revision.html doesn't
> allow "revision" to appear in any "info" element.

I put the edition and the revision (version) information on the copyright page instead of the title page.  Here's how I did it for EPUB:

<!-- ============ -->
<!-- DocBook text -->
<!-- ============ -->
<chapter
   role        = "NotInToc"
   version     = "5.1"
   xml:lang    = "en"
   xmlns       = "http://docbook.org/ns/docbook";
   xmlns:xlink = "http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink";>
  <?dbhtml filename="copyright.xhtml" ?>

  <title/>

  <info role="copyright">
   <edition role="simple">
     Apple iBooks edition
    </edition>

    <revhistory>
      <revision>
        <revnumber>1.0.0</revnumber>
        <date>2011-08-31</date>
        <authorinitials>wrg</authorinitials>
        <revremark>First release to iBookstore</revremark>
      </revision>
    </revhistory>
  </info>
</chapter>

<!-- ========== -->
<!-- XSLT text -->
<!-- ========== -->
  <!-- Override template in xhtml-1_1/titlepage.templates.xsl: -->

  <xsl:template match="d:chapter/d:info[@role = 'copyright']">
        <xsl:apply-templates select="d:edition[@role = 'simple']"/>
        <xsl:text>Version </xsl:text>
        <xsl:apply-templates select="d:revhistory/d:revision/d:revnumber"/>
        <xsl:text>, </xsl:text>
        <xsl:apply-templates select="d:revhistory/d:revision/d:date"/>
  </xsl:template>

Hope this helps.

   -- Bill Greene

smime.p7s