Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] docbook.xsl and epub indexing

Hi,
The DocBook XSL stylesheets provide two styles of index links for HTML output.  In the
default style, the links go to the HTML chunk that contains the indexterm, on the
assumption that the chunks are small and the chunk's title provides some context when
the user lands there.  Chunking normally takes place at some level of section,
depending on the value of the stylesheet parameter $chunk.section.depth.  The other
style takes the user directly to the location of the indexterm within each chunk,
which is more like going to the exact page in a paper book.  This style is more
suitable if your chunks are large.

As Robert Nagle said, the stylesheet param $index.links.to.section parameter
determines which style is used (the default value is 1). As he reported, though, when
that param is set to zero to jump to the exact location, there were duplicate links on
the primary entry when secondary indexterms were used.  I wasn't aware of that
problem, but I have since fixed it in the SVN source.  The latest snapshot builds have
that fix, if you want to give that a try.

From: "Michael McLoughlin" <michaelmclo@gmail.com>
To: <docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Friday, September 09, 2011 10:56 AM
Subject: [docbook-apps] docbook.xsl and epub indexing

I transformed a docbook to epub using docbook.xsl, which went very
well using python and LXML (I am new to all of this). The index points
to chapter headings (how useful is that?). Is there a way to revise
the XSL to have the index point to the location in the text?

--
MMcLoughlin

“This e-mail is intended for the exclusive use of the individual to
whom it is addressed. The information contained herein may be
proprietary, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable
law. If the reader of this e-mail has received this communication in
error, please immediately notify the sender by telephone or by e-mail
and destroy this message”