Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] DocBook XSLT 2.0 Stylesheets question with regards to XHTML output

Hi Lars,
Your assumption about needing to use the XSLT 2.0 stylesheets with DocBook 5 is not correct.  8^)
The XSLT 1.0 stylesheets in the docbook-xsl-ns-1.76.1 distribution can be used with DocBook 5 (the "ns" stands for namespaced).  That usage is documented here:

http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/ProcesingDb5.html#Db5Xslt

Regarding the HTML output, the html/docbook.xsl stylesheet file in Norm's 2.0 distro has this to indicate it is xhtml output:

  <xsl:output method="xhtml" encoding="utf-8" indent="no"/>
So the default output is XHTML.

I'll just mention that HTML5 support is coming to the XSLT 1.0 stylesheets as well.  I've been working on the EPUB3 output, which requires HTML5.  So the next XSLT 1.0 distribution will include XHTML5 and EPUB3 stylesheets.  I expect to have them included in a snapshot distribution very soon.

From: Lars Vogel
Sent: Friday, September 16, 2011 6:05 AM

Hello,

I say a tweet from Norman Walsh that the XSLT 2.0 Stylesheets will convert to HTML5 which I like. I assume that if I want to use DocBook5 I have to use the new  XSLT 2.0 Stylesheets for conversion. Please correct me if that assumption is incorrect.

As far as I know DocBook XSLT Stylesheets prio to 2.0 that the option to convert either to  HTML or XHTML output via different stylesheets. I see the DocBook XSLT 2.0 Stylesheets have no "xhtml" subfolder.

My question:

Will DocBook XSLT 2.0 Stylesheets per default convert to XHTML?

I would like what but could not find information about that in the "README" of Normans Release.

Best regards, Lars

--
Lars
http://www.vogella.de - Eclipse, Android and Java Tutorials