Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Removing HTML TOC from epub

On 09/22/2011 08:49 PM, Bob Stayton wrote:
Hi Chris,
Regarrding your first question, you can set the stylesheet param named 'generate.toc' to empty to turn off the TOC chunk. You will still get the NCX toc. I noticed the same issue with customizing the epub 2 stylesheet. If your customization consists only of parameter settings, then importing it should work. However, it is a chunking stylesheet, so any template changes require paying careful attention to import precedence for them to work. Generally that requires two separate customization files, but the epub/docbook.xsl needs to be rearranged for that to work. Based on the experience I gained from creating the epub 3 stylesheet, I plan to rearrange the files in the epub directory for EPUB 2 output to make it easier to customize.
bobs@sagehill.net <mailto:bobs@sagehill.net>

Since the toc is never needed (the ncx supplants a toc), would it make sense
to delete the call to generate it such that annoyance is removed?

regards DaveP

    ----- Original Message -----
    *From:* Chris Ridd <mailto:chrisridd@mac.com>
    *To:* docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org
    <mailto:docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org>
    *Sent:* Wednesday, September 21, 2011 3:26 AM
    *Subject:* [docbook-apps] Removing HTML TOC from epub

    Epubs have a table of contents used by readers (toc.ncx?) which
    makes the generated HTML table of contents rather superfluous. How
    does one prevent its generation in 1.76.1?

    Actually a rather more general question is how (or what's best
    practice) to customize the epub stylesheets. The shipped
    epub/docbook.xsl doesn't really seem amenable to being customized
    by an importing stylesheet. The FO stylesheets are significantly
    more flexible in this regard.

    Or should I be editing a copy of epub/docbook.xsl and customizing
    it that way? There's a lot of logic in that stylesheet that I
    really don't want to copy and try and keep in sync with the
    shipping file.

    Cheers,

    Chris

regards