Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] HTML5 version?

Yes, HTML5 is available as a separate target for output, but it currently comes with a few caveats.

The epub3 add-on that I've posted has two directories: xhtml5 and epub3. You should be able to use the stylesheets in the xhtml5 directory to produce HTML5 output with XML serialization.

The xhtml5 stylesheets are actually customization layers of the stylesheets in the xhtml directory. That was the shortest path to getting HTML5 output while retaining the myriad features of DocBook's HTML collection of stylesheets. However, that approach is likely to compromise the "purity" of the HTML5 output until the customization layer is improved sufficiently to catch and correct all the impurities in the xhtml stylesheet. It is not there yet.

If you have started working with HTML5, then you are probably aware that no DTD or schema exists for it, nor will it. See this thread for further discussion:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4055206/yet-another-question-regarding-the-html5-dtd-schema

The intent of the HTML5 developers is to use dedicated HTML5 validator programs instead of general XML validators. I have been using the W3C online validator for HTML5, and I have the beta xhtml5 stylesheets producing valid output for a subset of DocBook test documents. I have not tested the full complement of DocBook elements, and I have not tested many combinations of elements. I know there are untested DocBook elements that produce dirty HTML5, but I have not yet gotten to handling those yet with the customization layer. This is the primary reason why these stylesheets are still in beta. They need further development and broader testing before being put into production systems.

My focus has been getting HTML5 output of sufficient quality to build epub3 documents. The Epub3 developers *have* created an RNC schema for HTML5 (XML version), over which they have layered their schema for EPUB3. So most of my daily testing is with these schemas, which do report errors in HTML5 elements, at least as interpreted by the creators of their unofficial HTML5 schemas. I have also been testing with epubcheck for EPUB3, which also reports problems with HTML5 elements.

So if you want to join the bleeding edge, be my guest, but be aware that you will probably run into problems for awhile. I would of course appreciate any bug reports.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Larry Garfield" <larry@garfieldtech.com>
To: <docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Saturday, October 01, 2011 1:13 PM
Subject: [docbook-apps] HTML5 version?

Hi folks. At the moment I'm using the XHTML version of the DocBook XSL scripts. That's mostly fine, but I am trying to convert all of my web work over th HTML5. (Vis, using more semantic tags, reduced-complexity head elements, fewer extra wrapping divs, assuming that CSS actually works now so I can use modern selectors for styling, etc.) I saw that the EPUB target that Bob is working on (Go Bob!) is using HTML5 internally, but is that available separately as its own target? Just straight up HTML5 "thin" markup for web use?

--Larry Garfield