Subject: Set different margins for each column of a CALS table

I have a table with numbers in each cell that vary in length from one to seven digits (e.g. 1 to 1000000). I’d like to align all ‘entry’ elements *in each respective column* by somehow specifying a variable in which I can set different ‘margin-right’ values so that all ‘entry’ in each column get that particular margin-right value.

I have looked only at the colspec element for each column (thinking that any values specified in that are propagated to ‘entry’ elements) and seeing whether I can specify in the XML code an attribute that would take a % value for margin-right – I can’t see how that’s possible.
I’ve also tried specifying a variable in <xsl:template match="d:entry|d:entrytbl" name="entry"> that sets the margin-right value, but I can’t see the logic of how the values could be propagated to each column or where to put the following code:
          <xsl:variable name="numbermargin">

<xsl:if test="ancestor::d:colspec/@colnum=2">

<xsl:attribute name="margin-right"> 20% </xsl:attribute>

</xsl:if>

<xsl:if test="ancestor::d:colspec/@colnum=3">

<xsl:attribute name="margin-right"> 25% </xsl:attribute>

</xsl:if>

<xsl:if test="ancestor::d:colspec/@colnum=4">

<xsl:attribute name="margin-right"> 30% </xsl:attribute>

</xsl:if>

<xsl:if test="ancestor::d:colspec/@colnum=5">

<xsl:attribute name="margin-right"> 15% </xsl:attribute>

</xsl:if>

</xsl:variable>
I’m not even sure if it’s possible to match up entries with a respective colnum (given my limited knowledge of XPath expressions). Is there a quick solution?

Dave Gardiner