Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Weird formatting with programlisting and screen

Hi Jon,
I don't get that result when testing with the stock 1.76.1/fo stylesheet. I suspect your customization turns on the stylesheet param 'hyphenate.verbatim', which does not work properly in FOP. That param triggers insertion of soft hyphens, which are not supposed to show unless they are used to break a line.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jon Rosen" <jon.rosen@ucirrus.com>
To: "docbook-apps" <docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Sunday, October 09, 2011 5:34 PM

I have several syntax statement illustrations that I am using in my document. I read that programlisting is a "verbatim" environment and, except for XML markup (i.e., <tags>, etc.), it doesn't alter the source (including whitespace and CR/LFs).

The following statement:

 <programlisting>alter user smith identified by 'password';</programlisting>

appears in FOP output as:

 alter user smith identified by -'password';

I tried using screen instead of programlisting and got the same result.  I also tried:

<programlisting><![CDATA[alter user smith identified by 'password';]]></programlisting>

to see if that would make a difference, but no dice.

NO DASH:
 <programlisting>alter user smith identified by password';</programlisting> NO DASH:

DASH:
 <programlisting>alter user smith identified by 'password';</programlisting>
 <programlisting>alter user smith identified by "password";</programlisting>

This is not critical at this moment (I am still working on the doc and can ignore it for a while) but it will make my examples technically incorrect unless I can fix it before I publish.

Thanks in advance for any advice or assistance.

Jon Rosen