Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Re: [docbook] Re: unable to convert DocBook to PDF

On 10/22/2011 11:08 PM, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> You were right. A quick grep of apt-cache turned up nothing, but it
> was installed (presumably under a tools package name?).

Sorry, I should have been clearer: xmllint is an application that is
part of libxml2, which itself has been a key part of GNOME for many years.

> This hack worked. Its kind of ugly, but it got me to where I needed
> to be until I learn how to do things the DocBook5 way.
>
> $ xmllint --xinclude book.xml > book-pp.xml ; docbook2pdf
> book-pp.xml ; mv book-pp.pdf book.pdf ; rm -rf book-pp.xml
> book-pp.tex
>
> (posted for others who might stumble upon the thread).

That’s about the best you’re going to get while using docbook2pdf.

The “modern” approach is to use a natively XML-based toolchain: the
DocBook XSL stylesheets are ubiquitous and actively developed, with
Apache FOP as the most common Open Source processor.

~Chris
The “1%” runs the government.  Be very careful what you wish for.
Vote with your money and your feet before petitioning your rulers.