Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] PDF output: am I missing something?

Hi Robin,
It sounds like what you are missing is an XSL-FO processor that supports the table-layout="auto" value for tables, which will size columns automatically to fit short data. Unfortunately, FOP does not support the "auto" value, and so requires tables to have table-layout="fixed", which when column widths are not specified results in equal column widths. Both XEP and Antenna House support table-layout="auto", which is actually the default value for that property in the specification.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robin Lee Powell" <rlpowell@digitalkingdom.org>
To: <docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 01, 2011 8:56 PM
Subject: [docbook-apps] PDF output: am I missing something?

(I sent this a couple of weeks ago, but it never came through.
Since then, I've managed to beat dblatex into submission more or
less, but my basic "this is surprisingly hard" still stands, so here
it is)

I'm trying to generate both web pages and a print book (i.e. PDF,
since that's the format Lightning Source wants) from the same
source.

This is being *far* harder than I expected when I selected docbook
os the source format.  -_-

In particular, getting sane PDF output is turning out to be *really*
hard, to the point where I feel like I'm missing something and would
really like some advice.

I've tried converting HTML to PDF in various fashions (which sounds
nice because all the CSS work I'm doing carries over), which fails
because internal references show up as named links rather than page
numbers.

I've tried the fo output from xmlto/xsltproc and fop, which by
default has horrible table formatting (all columns the same width,
rather than "fit the text" as I expected).  dblatex has the same
issue.  My document has a *lot* of tables (or, rather, it has a lot
of columnarly aligned text, but if there's a better way to do that I
don't know what it is), so it's pretty essential that they work.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated at this point.

-Robin

--
http://singinst.org/ :  Our last, best hope for a fantastic future.
Lojban (http://www.lojban.org/): The language in which "this parrot