Subject: feedback, suggestions and criticism?

Hello all!

I'm a long time subscriber to this list but haven't been tremendously participating in discussions. Please forgive me if this is not the right place to ask.

Some years ago, I started developing an on-line publishing system based on Docbook with the main focus on multilingual technical documentation. Today, two years later, my work has resulted in something I feel really excited about. My plan is to release the system as a commercial (maybe open source) alternative within the next three or four month to come. The current version still needs some work on several parts. However, many parts are working quite well.

I am aware of the fact that it's rather late in the development process. But what I am looking for is feedback – suggestions, criticism and encouragement. Working as a "one-man-company" has definitely it's pros and cons. One of the drawbacks unfortunately (at least for my part) is that I do not know many people I could show the system for.

Some background information. Almost a year ago, my former employer went bankrupt and since then, I try to feed my family with my own one-man-business. I started developing a Docbook-based publishing system some years ago, which has led to different "reincarnations" of that system during that time. Back then (in my role as employee), I was looking for feasible systems that could help us in the production of technical documentation such as instruction manuals, spare parts lists and so on. Especially systems with good support for (printed and online) technical documentation in several different languages. And because the systems I looked at were either too expensive or too limited, I decided to write my "own" system.

The fact that I am not a programmer at the first place, has had a great influence on my approach when it comes to designing the system so to say. I tried to focus on ease-of-use and thoughtful design. And this stands in contrast to the systems I have seen so far.

So, to sum up, feel free to contact me off-list and I am happy to give you more information about the system and access to the demo installation.

Regards,
/frank arensmeier

ps. sorry for my lacking english skills. English is not my mother tongue. ds.