Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Limitations in table border formatting with xsltproc+fop ?

Hi Radu,

You are absolutely correct. I realized that when I looked upon what I was doing. I never took notice of the "Frame" setting before (since I normally style HTML output with CSS anyway and have always "lived" with the existing FO table formatting - being lazy).

(What I couldn't see was if there was any way from the Author to avoid having any "frame" attribute at all?)

But now, for part of the thesis I'm writing, I needed better looking PDF output so I bit the bullet and spent some considerable time of adding a fairly long FO cust. layer (and learning more FO+XSL than I really want to..) and the table formatting was the last thing I hadn't got right.

It's still not quite right since the line under the table headings breaks at each column on what seems to be some cell internal margin/padding. The same effect can also be seen when trying to fill the heading row with a background. The cell is not completely filled but has a "padding" space just inside the border. So I need to get a better understanding of any possible cell margin/padding attributes (I guess there are some similarities to CSS parameters for this - which I just need to find)

Once I get everything just right I'll drop a mail in the group since the table formatting (or small variants thereof) I'm shooting for is quite common in scientific publications and it might save someone else some time in creating the cust. layer.

Johan

On 2012-01-16 09:12, Radu Coravu wrote:

Hi Johan,

Indeed when inserting a table in the Author page using the toolbar
actions from Oxygen the "Frame" values combo box defaults to "all", but
this can be easily changed before inserting it.
Of course, when working in the Author page it's harder to spot attribute
values, you could try to switch to using the "Full Tags with Attributes"
view mode from the Author toolbar.

Regards,
Radu

Radu Coravu
  XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger