Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] webhelp.xsl customizations

So the xsls in svn has an empty template called
user.webhelp.head.content that is called at the end of
user.head.content which will help when you only want to add stuff to
<head>. There's also a user.webhelp.content.footer and a
user.webhelp.navheader.content (thanks to Jirka for adding those):

    <!-- This is for the USERS. Users who want to customize webhelp
may over-ride this template to add content to <head>. -->
    <xsl:template name="user.webhelp.head.content"/>

    <!-- This is for the USERS. Users who want to customize webhelp
may over-ride this template to add content to the footer of the
content DIV.
  	 i.e. within <div id="content"> ... </div> -->
    <xsl:template name="user.webhelp.content.footer"/>

    <xsl:template name="user.webhelp.navheader.content"/>

I'll add a note to the documentation about that feature.

It sounds like there's also a need for a $webhelp.jquery.theme.path
param so you can easily switch between themes.

Let me know if there are other things that need to be made easier to
customize. Webhelp is itself a customization layer, so it uses the
normal customization features of the DocBook xsls. It's also different
in that it includes a build script, and css, js, and image files. All
of which are candidates for customization as well.

Thanks,
David

On 01/27/2012 08:10 AM, Tim Arnold wrote:
> Hi Stefan, I'll be interested to see the other replies to your
> question. Your suggestion is exactly what I've done. Even for some
> largish templates (and user.head.content as well) I just copy them
> to my customization layer and make them do what I need them to do.
> I know only enough xslt to get myself in trouble, so hopefully
> we'll hear from more knowledgeable folks about the *best* way to
> go.
>
> good luck! --Tim Arnold
>
> On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 5:48 AM, Stefan Hinz
> <stefan.hinz@oracle.com> wrote:
>> Thanks again to everyone who pointed out WebHelp to me earlier
>> this week, and provided great hints for adjusting it to our
>> needs!
>>
>> I've had a look at webhelp.xsl from the DocBook 1.76.1 XSL style
>> sheets. In parts, this is a "regular" style sheet, in the sense
>> that you can override default values easily. For example, if I
>> wanted to change the file name of the start page, I'd look at
>> this line ...
>>
>> <xsl:param name="webhelp.start.filename">index.html</xsl:param>
>>
>> ... and override this with e.g. in a Makefile with:
>>
>> --stringparam webhelp.start.filename "toc.htm"
>>
>> There's one template, though, that consists of more than 120
>> lines, and is thus not easily configurable:
>>
>> <xsl:template name="user.head.content">
>>
>> Granted, it's a template, rather than a parameter, so there's
>> nothing like a one-line change, done in a Makefile. :-) Anyway,
>> here's what I thought I should do -- add a customization layer
>> with this:
>>
>> <xsl:template name="user.head.content"> <!-- Copy 120+ lines from
>> webhelp.xsl, and adjust to our needs --> </xsl:template>
>>
>> First question: Is this the right approach? Overriding 120+ lines
>> of a DocBook style sheet almost feels like modifying the style
>> sheet itself, which I'd never do because I guess that's
>> considered heresy.
>>
>> Last question: The user.head.content template has lots of things
>> hard-coded that I believe should be parametrized. Here's an
>> extreme example where both a specific jQuery theme and even the
>> version number are hard-coded:
>>
>> <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"
>> href="../common/jquery/theme-redmond/jquery-ui-1.8.2.custom.css"/>

Is there any way to parametrize *that* (i.e. within a template)?